Process to In-Country Moves

Guidance and actions to be taken for personnel assigned to another unit in the USA. 

This guidance has been produced for those personnel who are assigned within the USA. For those personnel who are administered by the USA Sp Gp, on receipt of an Assignment Order you are requested to contact us to facilitate your movement and carry out the actions in the following checklist and read the notes thereafter. All other personnel should contact their local Admin Team.

Upon receipt of an Assignment Order, personnel are to send a copy to their HR Specialist, at both locations if this will be different ( for BDSUS parented personnel) and read through the following guidance and to undertake the following actions.

Please email the following individuals who will be able to provide up to date information on the in-country move process:

The USA Helpdesk system relies upon rules to allocate emails to the right area; it is therefore vital that you follow the correct naming convention.

Please ensure you include ‘BEET‘ at the start of the subject matter line. This is the most essential element, failure to do so will lead to a slower response.

This should be followed by either ‘DC’ or ‘NONDC’, your issue and finally the name of the principle visa holder.

Examples: BEET – NONDC- Departure notification – Location – Departure Date – John Smith.

Please be aware that as per the BDSUS Accommodation Policy there is no automatic entitlement to six nights in a hotel on departure from your current unit as noted in the JSP. This is the maximum claimable which must be linked to business need and must be authorised by the BEET. There is an expectation that all personnel minimise the use of temporary accommodation (hotels) during the departure process where possible.

Contact BEET or the Norfolk Accommodation Team via email to discuss the furniture pack arrangements for both your current and future unit.

You should contact the relevant team as early as possible to arrange the collection of your furniture pack, advising your preferred date of collection (not a weekend).  Please note that, during the busy summer months, the first date requested may not be available. If you have lost or damaged MOD owned or rented furnishings you may be charged for the items, if you fail to report the loss or damage to BEET prior to your departure from the USA charges will be raised when the loss or damage is identified which could be several months after your departure.

Register at the new Medical Treatment Facility as soon as possible. If you or a dependant has a repeat prescription, it is important to check that this medication is available at the new MTF. It is also advisable to bring a three-month supply of your medication to your new location. Confirm your new address with the Healthcare Coordinators to update Meritain of the change (if applicable). 

Contact the Healthcare Team.

Notify the Education Coordinators of contact details of the new school your children will be attending. 

It is your responsibility to arrange for the shipping of your Personal Effects (PE) to your new duty station. All requests for movement of PE’s, must be submitted via the Agility Logistics GRMS website.

The application process will lead you through a series of questions to determine your removal requirements and volumetric entitlement. Any queries regarding the calculation of entitlements should be addressed to for BDSUS administered personnel or your respective Unit HR. After completing your movement application form online please observe the following steps:

  1. Print and sign the completed application form.
  2. Submit the printed form to your HR Specialist (for BDSUS) to be signed and stamped (authorised), either through the mail or a scanned copy.
  3. The signed, stamped forms will then be sent via fax, post or e-mail to Agility Logistics by the relevant HR team.
  4. Upon receipt of your stamped and signed application form, Agility Logistics will process your movement request and contact you directly to arrange all other aspects of the movement of PE.

Personal Effects Allowance – Additional Allowance

In accordance with JSP 752 (extract below), personnel are entitled to an additional 2.5CuM allowance for their personal effects.

12.0414. Intra-country moves. Where items have been provided under the Overseas Furniture Provision Scheme (OFPS), SP are entitled to an additional 2.5 Cu M to their personal effects scale of entitlement if the below criteria are met. On return to the UK or assignment to a new overseas country the entitlement remains the standard personal effects scale of entitlement.

  1. The SP is serving overseas, and
  2. The SP has been provided with items under the OFPS, and
  3. The SP is entitled to a move at public expense within the same overseas country either due to being assigned to a new qualifying duty station or entitled to a publicly funded  mid-assignment move.

Disturbance expenses are paid along with your salary, in the month following the application. Applications can be applied on JPA 45 days prior to your assignment. If you do not have JPA access, personnel should submit a JPA F018 (Disturbance Expense) (link to form) form either electronically or manually to your HR Specialist.

As each individual case will be different, please contact the support group to see if your current Visa will need to be renewed.

Personnel who wish to apply for an advance of subsistence (hotels and food) should submit this on JPA or submit JPA F016 to their HR Specialists. Personnel are reminded of the need to clear this advance, by submitting a claim within 30 days at the end date of their advance request.

Personnel should contact the CPC on what outstanding advances should be cleared prior to movement to their next unit. Where individuals have an outstanding House Deposit you should attach a post-dated cheque to the BDS Form 109 and send it to your HR Specialist, six weeks prior to the lease end date. All cheques should be made payable to UK MOD SUB ACCOUNT BDS-US HMG 16359702.

Complete BSUS Form 109 and send, along with cheques to your HR Unit (Creech, Edwards, Norfolk/Tidewater or Embassy) who will then forward to the BEET. Please ensure that this process is completed at least 60 days from departure.

Ensure that if required, your Appraisal or if you have reporting responsibilities, have been raised and completed before moving to your next unit.

“A Service person granted leave in the UK (or the ROI if they have an appropriate qualifying address) between two permanent overseas assignments is entitled to be conveyed at public expense to the UK (or ROI) qualifying address. A Service person who is permitted by their CO to take inter-assignment leave in a country other than the UK may travel at their own expense and reclaim the cost, up to the cost of passage to and from the UK under official arrangements. Where an Air Trooping (AT) flight is available, this is either to be used or the cost of the overseas leave travel is to be borne by the Service person. The Service person is responsible for meeting any travel costs which may arise if they subsequently wish, or are required to, proceed to the UK while on inter-assignment leave”.

Subsistence is admissible when claiming inter-assignment leave flights for the day of travel.

Inter-assignment leave will result in HOTAC and subsistence being admissible as part of the duty travel aspect of this allowance. This includes HOTAC for nights before early flights where it is not viable to expect personnel to travel long distances which would see them out of duty driving hours.

Contact your Unit HR for further advice.

In-Country Moves consist of two options for travelling from current unit to gaining unit:

  1. Complete a Form 700 for the Hire Car and/or flight booking then send to the BDSUS Travel Cell ( To claim the cost, use the F016. You will need to book your hotel through HRG.
  2. Apply for Privately Arranged Passage (PAP) 6 weeks before intended travel date. More information can be found at JSP 752 Chapter 6 Section 6 – Privately Arranged Passage at the link below to the internet.

    Some points to note are;

    • The aim of a Privately Arranged Passage (PAP) is to provide assistance towards the travel costs incurred by Service personnel and accompanying immediate family when they are required to make a duty journey on assignment but, for personal reasons, they choose to travel by other than the recognised flight route.
    • Personnel are regarded as being on duty for the duration of an official passage, but are regarded as being on leave for the duration of a PAP journey. As such personnel are advised to take out adequate insurance to meet any cancellation, medical and hospital expenses that may arise during the PAP, as these will not be covered by MOD indemnity in countries other than the duty station.

    PAP Restrictions

    • PAP may only be granted in lieu of a flight where the recognised form of travel on assignment is by standard commercial flight. 
    • PAP refunds are capped at the costs of the official mode of travel (including terminal travel at either end) at non-flexible economy class rates only, by the most direct route between the 2 duty stations, per eligible member of immediate family.
    • Accommodation and subsistence expenses may not form any part of any PAP claim.  All such expenses are the personal liability of the SP. Expenses such as ferries and tolls may form part of the claim, but parking fees may not.
    • Where a journey is split into 2 or more stages, part PAP may be granted for any individual stage i.e. if 2 consecutive flights are required, the SP may request a part PAP in lieu of the first flight, and then take the official flight for the second stage journey.
    • PAP journeys by private motor vehicle will be refunded at the MMA rate plus passenger rates. 
    • PAP will be limited to a refund of expenses incurred by one private motor vehicle only.

Contact the J1 Team for further information

Last Updated: Jul 20, 2022 @ 9:18 am

Scroll to Top