Spousal Employment Opportunities

Working at the British Embassy Washington, one of the other offices across the US, or a BDSUS outpost, offers a unique and rewarding opportunity to grow professionally while collaborating with a talented group of individuals. There is a wide range of opportunities including, but certainly not limited to, communications and press, security, administrative, trade & investment, finance, energy, and the residence. All individuals can take advantage of a wide array of learning and development opportunities. 

The embassy’s employment opportunities page is updated regularly. We encourage you to review current vacancies here and submit an application following the instructions in the advert. Due to the large number of qualified applicants who apply, only those candidates who are selected for further consideration will receive a response. 

The British Embassy US Network is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.

Eligibility Requirements


As per US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), employers in the US are required to ensure that all employees have the legal right to work in the US. Under US State Department requirements, the embassy and our consulates may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders. If you hold a visa other than an A visa, you are not currently eligible to work at the embassy or our consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) also accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance. For couples who rely on two wages this could have significant financial implications and impact on the standard of living you currently enjoy. Although there is some scope for spouses to work, there are hurdles to be overcome. Some UK qualifications are not accepted in the USA and as such spouses seeking employment in medical, accounting or education fields may find that their qualifications are not instantly transferable.  Research this area carefully. An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is required by US law for dependants of personnel to undertake paid employment for the duration of their spouse’s tour in the US; some States require you to be in possession of an EAD to qualify for a State driving license.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

You can apply for an EAD once you have entered the US. You should apply as soon as you get your Common Access Card (CAC) (US base ID card). The process to receive an EAD normally takes between 6-10 weeks, but can take longer than 16 weeks depending upon demand. You should not make any fixed arrangement to begin work until you have the EAD. A non State Department accredited A2 visa holder (a primary visa holder with an A2 visa who does not work at a US state accredited establishment) will be in a position where their spouse will not be able to obtain an EAD. This should be clarified with unit HR.  

Last Updated: Feb 18, 2021 @ 7:10 pm

Scroll to Top